Blowin' In The Wind
Your best option on a windy day is to secure your strands as much as possible and simply give in to that tousled, "windswept" look -- there's not much you can do about the weather! Those with long hair have it easiest! Throw your hair into a ponytail, plait or an up-do and fasten with bobby pins and hairbands. Those with shorter hair will have to call on a little help from styling products like gel and hairspray, and distract from the flyaways with cute accessories like headbands and embellished hair pins.
Pretty twists for short hair
- Grab a bunch of bobby pins and work a small amount of styling product through your strands.
- Take hold of a tiny section of your hair, curling it with your fingers so it forms a loose twist and secure it to your head with a bobby pin (in the same shade as your hair).
- Work through all of your hair so that all pieces are twisted up into loose, pretty curls.
- Tuck a few embellished hair pins into the twists to finish off.
The high bun for medium to long hair
- Pull your hair into a high ponytail on the top of your head and tie with a hair elastic. The higher, the better! Make the ponytail as tight or as loose as you like and pull a few wispy pieces out to hang down -- this will make the style look more natural when it gets pummelled by the wind later!
- To add a bit of volume to the bun, spray some texturiser into your ponytail and tease the lengths.
- Wrap your hair around the base of your ponytail (where the elastic is) to form a bun and secure it with bobby pins. (The windier it is outside, the more bobby pins you'll need!)
- Spray with hairspray to keep in place.
- You can also pop a headband in front of your bun to help keep your hair out of your face on super windy days.
Plaited, basic chignon for medium to long hair
- Part your hair down the middle of your head and pull all your hair to the left side of your head.
- Tie an elastic low down at the back of your head, so it forms a low side ponytail.
- Divide the ponytail into three sections and make a standard plait, then wrap the plait around the base where the elastic is to form a bun-like style. Depending on how long your hair is, secure with a bunch of bobby pins or another elastic and ribbon if needed.
- Pull a few tiny strands out to create a more casual look and pin a few back loosely onto your head with bobby pins.