Mix Up Your BBQ
A New Year means new recipes for your next barbecue or Australia Day feast. These recipes stay simple while spicing up your taste buds with flavours like ginger. There will be something for all to try and enjoy. Here are four delicious summer recipes perfect for your next BBQ party.
Barbecued fish with pinapple & mint salsa
Recipe by Alison Roberts in Good Taste, February 2007, Page 31
- 4 (about 150g each) blue-eye trevalla or snapper fillets
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 80g mixed salad leaves
- 1/2 red capsicum, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 1 x 200g punnet grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 4 wholegrain bread rolls
Pineapple & mint salsa
- 1/4 (about 250g) pineapple, peeled, cored, finely chopped
- 2 tbs shredded fresh mint
- 1 small fresh red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 tbs fresh lime juice
- Preheat a barbecue flat plate or frying pan on medium-high. Brush both sides of the fish evenly with oil. Season with pepper. Add the fish to the barbecue flat plate or pan and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 3 minutes each side or until the flesh flakes when tested with a fork.
- Meanwhile, to make the salsa, combine the pineapple, mint, chilli and lime juice in a bowl.
- Combine the salad leaves, capsicum, tomato and cucumber in a bowl. Divide fish among serving plates. Spoon over the salsa. Serve with salad and bread.
Barbecued Italian sausage and bean salad
Recipe by Annette Forrest in Super Food Ideas, October 2006, Page 65
- 600g Italian sausages
- 350g small green beans, trimmed
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Crusty Italian-style bread, to serve
- Preheat a greased barbecue plate on medium heat. Cook sausages, turning occasionally, for 8 to 12 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a board. Slice diagonally. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool.
- Meanwhile, cook green beans in a saucepan of boiling water for 2 minutes or until bright green. Drain. Refresh in cold water. Pat dry and allow to cool.
- Combine all beans, tomatoes, parsley and sausages on a serving platter. Whisk oil, vinegar and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk until well combined. Drizzle dressing over salad. Toss to combine. Serve with crusty bread.
Next: Barbecued corn with chilli-herb butter and more! >>