When you simply don't have time to slave away in front of a hot oven for hours but don't want to succumb to takeaway, try these microwaveable meals for healthy dinners on the run. From veggie sides to beef burritos and chicken noodles, you can do it all in the humble microwave!
- 4 cups green beans
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash, then top and tail the beans.
- Place the beans in a microwave-safe dish and add the water.
- Cover and cook on high for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Serve with a dollop of butter and season with salt and pepper.
- 4 cups carrots
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- Roasted pine nuts
- Peel the carrots, then chop into slices.
- Place the carrots in a microwave-safe dish and add the water.
- Cover and cook on high for about 12-15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Toss with lemon juice, salt, oil and pine nuts.
- 4 potatoes
- Sea salt
- Wash potatoes and puncture each a few times with a fork.
- Line a microwave-safe plate with paper towel, then place the four potatoes on top.
- Cook them on high for five minutes, then turn each potato over.
- Cook on high for a further five to 10 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes. Check that each potato is cooked through and cook for longer if required.
- Serve with butter and sea salt.
- 500 grams skirt steak
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- Burrito tortillas
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- Sour cream
- Cut the steak into thin strips.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, season the steak with chilli, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Add the water and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover the bowl loosely with cling wrap and microwave on high for about three minutes, then stir. Re-cover and cook for another three or so minutes, until the steak is cooked to your taste. Drain the excess water.
- Place the tortillas on a large plate lined with paper towel and warm in the microwave as per the packet instructions.
- Lay the heated tortillas flat and load with lettuce, tomato and seasoned steak. Top with cheese, sour cream and salsa. Fold both sides and one end in -- and enjoy!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Frozen mixed Asian vegetables
- Packet of noodles
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried ground ginger
- Wrap the chicken breasts in microwave-safe cling wrap, then cook on high for about two minutes. Cut the cooked chicken into strips.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the garlic, onion and oil. Microwave on high for two minutes.
- In a separate, large microwave-safe bowl, cover the frozen vegetables with water. Cover loosely with cling wrap, then cook on high for five minutes, or until the veggies are cooked through. Drain.
- In a separate bowl, cover the noodles with water and cook in the microwave as per the instructions on the packet.
- Transfer all ingredients, including the sauces and seasoning, to the largest of the bowls and mix to combine. Cook on high for about three minutes or until heated through.
- Drain and serve in individual soup bowls.