A divinely gooey sticky date pudding is the ultimate winter treat. This moist cake is teamed with heated sauce and served with a dash of cold cream or vanilla ice-cream to produce a belly-pleasing combination of textures, flavours and temperatures. The chewiness of the dates is great with the smooth sponginess of the cake. This is a definite crowd pleaser and is a sure winner for your next dinner party with friends or Sunday night dinner in with family.
Sticky date toffee pudding
For the pudding:
- 150 grams dates
- 250 millilitres hot water
- 60 grams butter, room temperature
- 60 grams castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- 150 grams self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 250 millilitres double cream
- 200 grams butter, melted
- 400 grams brown sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Butter and flour a round or square cake tin.
- Remove the stones of the dates and chop into small pieces.
- Place the dates and water in a pan and bring to the boil for a few minutes so the dates soften. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar together slowly until the mixture is pale, and light and fluffy.
- Keep beating and add in the eggs one at a time.
- Keep beating as you gradually add the flour, bicarb, ginger and vanilla.
- Keep beating still and throw in the soaked dates and water.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared cake tin.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes or until the cake is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, to make the toffee sauce, pour the cream, butter and sugar into a pot and stir.
- Add the vanilla pod and let simmer for a few minutes or until the mixture has formed a thick sauce.
- While still warm, cut the cake into slices and serve in bowls with the toffee sauce poured over the top.
- If you choose, add a few dollops of whipped vanilla cream (recipe below) on the side.
Serve the sticky date pudding with a few dollops of vanilla ice-cream or vanilla cream on the side. The blend of temperatures will top off an already perfect dessert.
- 125 millilitres thickened cream
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Beat the cream, icing sugar and vanilla essence together in a bowl until firm peaks form.
- Scoop a few spoonfuls into a bowl with a slice of sticky date pudding. Delish!