Whether cooking for a new flame or a long-term lover, a dinner date at home can be fun, romantic and, well, kind of terrifying. If you're not 100 per cent confident with your skills in the kitchen, redeem your reputation with these easy dessert recipes. From a no-bake dessert platter to healthy honey apples to a lemon meringue pie, there's no easier way to win him over.
No-bake dessert platter
For those who refuse to tie on an apron, this no-bake platter is for you! Simply gather your favourite fresh dessert ingredients and arrange on a large, attractive platter, and serve with sweet dessert wine. Think a fruit-based platter featuring chocolate-dipped strawberries, sliced kiwi fruit, mango, grapes and cherries, or an assortment of different cheeses like Brie, blue and aged gouda and a glass of champagne or moscato to top it all off. Cheers!
Honey and cinnamon apples
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 1-1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1-1/2 tablespoon sugar or cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Core the apples, then cut them in half vertically.
- Grab a roasting tray with raised sides and place the apple halves on the tray, with the cut sides facing up. Place a few sultanas into the well left by the apple core.
- Drizzle a teaspoon of honey onto each apple half, then sprinkle approximately 1 teaspoon of brown sugar or cinnamon over each.
- Pour water into the roasting tray about 2 centimetres high.
- Place the tray in the preheated oven and bake for half an hour or until the apple halves are soft.
- Place two baked apple halves on each plate and top with a dollop of whipped cream. Delicious!
Lemon meringue pie
Makes 1 pie
- Shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tin condensed milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C.
- Place the condensed milk in the fridge for 10 minutes to chill.
- Line a pie dish with the thawed pastry and sprinkle the uncooked rice inside. Bake blind in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until the pastry is lightly browned.
- Remove the pie tin and reduce the heat to 180 degrees C.
- Pour the lemon juice and the condensed milk into a bowl and beat until the ingredients are combined and the mixture is thick. Gently beat in the two egg yolks.
- When the pastry has cooled, pour the condensed milk mixture into the shell.
- In a separate, small glass bowl, beat the two egg whites and gradually add the sugar until soft peaks form.
- Pour the egg white mixture on top of the condensed milk mixture to form the meringue part of the pie.
- Place the uncooked pie into your preheated oven and bake for approximately 10 minutes or until the egg whites are lightly browned.
- Slice into two portions and serve to your super impressed date!