First of all, it goes without saying that prevention is always the best cure. So instead of guzzling down those extra gin and tonics, you'd be better off practising moderation and drinking for pleasure, rather than to get rolling drunk.
But, that said, we all need to let our hair down every now and then, and sometimes a few wines can simply get the better of us and leave us feeling a little under the weather the next day. If you've got places to go and people to see, you certainly don't have time to mope around nursing your sore head. Check out this great list of hangover cures to help ease the pain!
The night before
- Try to drink a glass of water for each glass of alcohol.
- Always make sure you eat before or while you're drinking. This should help prevent those bubbles from going straight to your head.
- Drink plenty of water before you hit the hay to help ease the painful effects of dehydration the next day. Keep a glass beside your bed so you have it on hand during the night and first thing in the morning.
The day after
- If you have the luxury of a sleep-in, pop a damp facecloth over your pounding forehead and snuggle back into bed for some extra zzzzs.
- Once again, plenty of fresh water should help ease the pain of your hangover. Pop a slice of lemon and a teaspoon of honey into the cup for extra nutrients and added benefits.
- A decent shower can make you feel a million times better. Indulge in a scented body scrub and wash your hair so you feel fresh and ready for the day.
- A hearty breakfast and a glass of orange juice for vitamin C will help you to feel a whole lot better and give you a boost of energy. Try refuelling on protein-packed eggs on toast with a side of spinach -- check out some great recipe ideas below.
- Even though that cup of coffee may be calling your name, avoid it if possible as the caffeine will only dehydrate you, which is the exact opposite of what your body needs right now.
- While it might be the last thing you feel like doing, heading outside into the fresh air and doing some sweat-inducing exercise might just be your miracle hangover cure. A quick dip in the ocean will also help refresh that hurting body.
- A sports drink packed with electrolytes can help to hydrate your body.