The release of The Hunger Games movie in Australia is the perfect excuse to invite your friends over, get yourself and your home all dressed up, and play a bunch of fun games with your mates. (If you've got any Hunger Games naysayers among your ranks, we're pretty sure they'll be converted by the end of this celebration!)
- Well, attendance must be, of course, mandatory. Or else...
- Try making invitations in the shape of Katniss's mockingjay pin or a parachute.
- Create your invitations on the computer to look like lottery tickets.
- Of course, the easiest way to channel The Hunger Games is by dividing the party venue up into 12 districts. Label each for a bit of fun.
- If you're keen to go all out, create a forest in your living room with plenty of indoor plants. If you're hosting the party in your backyard -- even better!
- Hang some toy parachutes from the ceiling for a cute effect.
- Fill an inflatable pool or your bathtub with ice to serve as both "the arena pool" and an esky for everyone's drinks.
- At the very least, print out a few pictures or stick up some posters of The Hunger Games cast.
- Lottery, anyone? Try a fun twist like bingo.
- Don't take the film too seriously by encouraging a fight club, but some archery comps or obstacle courses are a great way to get everyone mingling. Form 12 district teams and award the winning players with prizes.
- If your guests are prepared to get wet, a water gun fight can be a whole lot of fun! Remember to have some towels on standby.
- For those who prefer their games a little less messy, host a Hunger Games trivia session. "Research" has got to be the perfect excuse to read your favourite book series just one more time...
The costume dress code
- Take style inspiration from Katniss and arm yourself with a bow and arrow.
- Encourage everyone to dress up as their favourite (or least favourite) character.
- Depending on how many guests you have, you could divide them into districts and ask that they identify their district number somewhere on their costumes -- this is a great way to encourage strangers to mingle.
The food and snacks
- Bread is a staple in Panem, so make sure you fill the tables with plenty of fresh loaves and dips.
- Crackers with goat's cheese is a cute way to represent Prim's goat!
- Please our heroine Katniss with her favourite dish, lamb stew! Dried plums optional...
Image credit: Lionsgate